Thursday, August 2, 2007

How to contruct logic problems?

A logic problem consists of a jumble of facts and relationships from which one must
deduce an organized structure through the application of logical deduction and inference.
To construct a logic problem, one must develop a correct set of statements (clues) from
which the organized structure (answer) may be deduced. It is more difficult than it may at
first appear to develop a set of clues which uniquely determine the answer, without
revealing the answer too obviously. It also takes far longer to construct a logic problem
than it takes to solve it.
I do not know of any published material on how to construct logic problems, but I can
outline how I do it. I start with the organized structure (the answer) and work backwards
to assemble a collection of statements which uniquely determine the given structure.
Sherlock Holmes describes this type of process in a discussion with his friend Dr. Watson
in A Study in Scarlet, 1887:
Holmes: In solving a problem of this sort, the grand thing is to be able
to reason backward. That is a very useful accomplishment, and a very
easy one, but people do not practise it much. In the everyday affairs of
life it is more useful to reason forward, and so the other comes to be
neglected. There are fifty who can reason synthetically for one who can
reason analytically.
Watson: I confess that I do not quite follow you.
Holmes: I hardly expected that you would. Let me see if I can make it
clearer. Most people, if you describe a train of events to them will tell
you what the result would be. They can put those events together in
their minds, and argue from them that something will come to pass.
There are few people, however, who, if you told them a result, would
be able to evolve from their own inner consciousness what the steps
were which led up to that result. This power is what I mean when I talk
of reasoning backward, or analytically.
Below I describe the process in general and illustrate it by constructing Football Fans, the
Logic Problem of the Month for October 1997. I have deliberately chosen to illustrate the
basic construction process with an easy puzzle in order to avoid obscuring the basics with
the complexity of a hard example. (The solution to the Football Fans logic problem
appears below. One should probably work the problem first before studying the
construction process.)

No comments: